Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Near Entrapment

This morning my parents, brother, David and I boarded a plane from Greensboro, NC to Washington DC, embarking on our long journey to South Africa. That flight was pretty quick, but with the water I drank earlier plus the juice on the flight, I had to go to the bathroom during the flight just before we landed. The plane we were on was pretty small and the bathroom was the size of a tiny broom closet. The flight attendant gave me the ok to go quickly before we landed, so I stepped in and tried to close the door. It was very hard to get closed, and even harder to open as I would soon find out. After pulling and pushing a while I finally got the door closed, only to find there was no light in there. So I forced the door open again and tried to find a light, but to no avail. I grabbed some tissues and decided that I would just go in the dark after closing the door for the 3rd time. So I finished my business and tried to force the door open again, but it wouldn't budge. So I pulled at the slide lock thinking that maybe it was stuck, but as I was trying to force the knob over to the right to be released, the unthinkable happened. I broke the knob right off the lock and now I was really trapped! I had visions of being thrown around in that tiny space as the plane landed and the airplane attendants having to pry me out with a crow bar while the air got hot and stuffy in the little lavatory. There was really nothing to do but laugh at the seemingly impossible situation that only I would have gotten myself into. But I had to try to be practical and find a way out before we landed. So by the dim light of the "No Smoking" sign I noticed that there was a little hole where the knob had come off, and I thought if I could just find the knob maybe I could stick it in the hole and unlock the door. I fumbled around on the floor in the dark and found the knob. When I put it in the hole I realized that it had merely come unscrewed and I hadn't snapped it off with my brute strength. I screwed it back on, forced the lock open, and with the help of the lady in the last row (who by now had realized I was stuck) finally was released from my temporary prison. I made it back to my seat just minutes before the wheels hit the runway. And boy, was I glad to get off that plane for a 6 hour layover here in DC where I am actually writing this post from my iPhone. - Just another quick plug for how awesome they are :)
In 2 hours we'll be leaving for South Africa so I won't have access to the Internet for a while, but I'll be sure to post an update as often as possible.
Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments: