Monday, June 8, 2009

Belated Birthday Posts

Well our birthdays were celebrated on time, it's just this post that is belated : )

But I had a such a wonderful birthday a couple of months ago that I just couldn't move on to the present without posting about it. At first I wasn't so sure it would be that good because David was trying to throw me off by saying that this wasn't an important birthday. Since it was my 29th birthday, he said that it wasn't a big one and NEXT year would be the really important one, so for this one he wasn't going to do anything. Well, I wasn't so happy about him saying that. Even though I knew he wasn't serious, I still told him that he should do something because every birthday is a special birthday and it doesn't just have to be the "big" ones.

Since it seemed like he wasn't planning anything, I made sure that we had plans. We were going to go out for breakfast with my family, then go on to a matinee movie, then just hang out and do whatever til dinner, then after dinner we would go see a friend of ours perform at a nearby coffee shop. Or so I thought those were the plans. However, the night before, as we were going to bed, David asked me what time I was planning to get up, then said because you will need time to get ready and pack. "Pack! Pack for what?!?", I excitedly asked him. "You'll see", he said. "Just make sure you have a change of clothes for tomorrow, that's about it." So I went to bed that night excited about where we were going for my birthday after breakfast and the movie.

We met my family at a little Irish pub for a traditional breakfast and I opened presents there. I got a beautiful set of earrings from my brother and the matching necklace from my parents. Then it was time to open David's present. He handed me a big bag and as I pulled the gift out of it, I could not believe that he had given THIS to me!Yes, you did see that correctly. He gave me a bathroom scale for my birthday because I had recently been counting my calories and exercising more and had mentioned numerous times that I'd like to have a scale so I didn't have to go to gym to weigh every time. So he was right in knowing I had wanted one, but NOT for my BIRTHDAY! I was laughing on the outside, but inside I was thinking, "I can't believe THIS is my birthday present!" I kept trying to open it and see what the "real" present was, but that was it, a scale. True he was taking me somewhere as well, but I still wasn't so happy about that present. But, my husband is amazing and knows me so well! He got me the scale as a sort of gag gift (although it has been very useful) to throw me off the real present which he pulled out when he was satisfied with watching my reaction to the scale present. Here was the real present. A beautiful new watch! What a prankster! I love him!
(Aside- not sure why my hair looks so red in the pub pictures. It really wasn't red at all)

From breakfast, David and I went out to a matinee, then on to check in at the special place he had booked for us for the night. I had no idea where he was taking me, and I was so excited to find out. As we headed out of the city, crossed over the highway, and neared the bed and breakfast, I realized where we were staying. A friend of mine had gotten married at this adorable little bed and breakfast just outside town (but felt like way out in the country). The room David had booked for us was actually the same room they had stayed in after their wedding, the honeymoon suite. It was so peaceful and romantic! It rained that afternoon as we were arriving, so we just hung out in the room and took a nice little nap before dinner. We ate at an Italian restaurant that we hadn't been to since we had lived on that side of town, then headed over to the coffee shop. Our good friends, Justin and Allanna joined us for coffee and live music. We stayed until about 10pm, then went back to the bed and breakfast. The lady who owns it was so sweet and friendly. She brought us up cheese and crackers and strawberries and chocolate and drinks for our "midnight snack". We enjoyed the goodies while waiting for the air jet tub to fill up. Then we relaxed in the huge tub with bubble bath and candles. What bliss! Here's me sitting by the tub when we first got there. We slept so well in the soft, comfy bed, and woke up slowly when we were rested. We called downstairs to the B&B owners to tell them we were up and ready for breakfast, and they brought us up a really nice spread with french toast waffles, eggs, bacon, orange juice, etc... It was such a beautiful day, and we sat by this window as we ate and talked. Again I have to say it was so peaceful and such a relaxing, refreshing time together. It was definitely a wonderful birthday!

I'll have to talk about David's birthday (2 weeks after mine) in a later post. But I will mention now, that after he had come up with such a good surprise for me, I wanted to have a nice surprise for him too. So what I did was arrange with some family friends who live near Pinehurst for us to go and stay with them for a weekend so David can play golf and we can go shopping and out to dinner together. And I made him up a little gift certificate entitling him to a golf weekend. The only problem was we only had a tentative date to do it, and as we got closer to that date, we realized that it wouldn't work for all of us. As of right now, we have another tentative date for a couple of weeks from now, and if it works out this time I will definitely write all about it.

No comments: